Sunday, March 7, 2010

John Borton, Quaker

John Borton is one of my favorite ancestors. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because he's the first one that I was able to find out a lot about.

John was born in 1634 in Aynho, Northamptonshire, England. Because the last name ends in "ton" it's very probable that the Bortons were descendents of the Normans, probably coming to England with William the Conqueror in 1066. Though not much is known of John's younger life, in 1660 he and another man, John Bett, were taken out of their homes by soldiers and taken to prison for refusing their oaths. Then, in 1665, John had all of his "goods" taken by distress for a fine of four shillings because he didn't attend the local parish (Catholic) church for four weeks.
It's very possible that John Borton and his wife, Ann Kinton, were the only members of the Borton family to join the Quaker religion. Probably due to persecution by the Catholic Church, the English government, and by his own family, John and Ann left England for America.

John and Ann had become Quakers at least by 1660 as evidenced above. In 1676, in London, England, John Borton, along with 150 other men, signed The Concessions and Agreements of the Proprietors, Freeholders, and Inhabitants of the Province of West New Jersey in America which had been written by William Penn. The document was a great colonial charter of civil and religious liberty which embodied many of the elementary principles underlying the Bill of Rights.
Though John is listed as being a "poor laborer" in England, he was actually a man of some means - being able to read, write and "cipher" and he was not a tennant farmer. He signed his name to the Concessions agreement - actually signed it, and not with an "x".

Once he had signed the Concessions he took care of whatever he needed to in England and he and Ann set sail for America in 1679 on the ship "Griffin". They landed in New Jersey and John set about making a new home for his family. They had brought with them, a letter from the Banbury Monthly Meeting in England and presented it at the Burlington Monthly Meeting in 1679. Also, in this year, John paid the Indians 20 pounds and 7 shillings for land and received a deed.

Once the family was settled in New Jersey John soon made a name for himself as a very respected member of the society. Among his achievements were the following -
Assigned to take care of births and burials for Rancocas in 1781; Assigned to take care of orphans, 1682; Constable for London Tenth 1682; Member of the Second Tenth Assembly in 1683; Member of the Assembly and Road Commission in 1684; and became a substantial land owner.

He built a large house and called it Hillsdown, where he died in 1687.

John and Ann had at least 7 children - one of whom was Elizabeth Borton who married in 1684 at Burlington MM, John Woolman, another one of my famous Quaker ancestors.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I love this! I am a descendant of John as well and very proud of this. I am a 10th generation Borton and am from Seaside Park, NJ area. My Grandfather LeRoy Borton built a Motel across from the beach and boardwalk there. I have connected with several Borton's through facebook and look forward to finding more of us. :) May I post this link on my facebook? If you have a facebook please add me. You will find some of my siblings on there. I am one of 6 and we migrated to Corpus Christi, Texas in 1976. Some of my siblings on facebook are Carter Borton, John Borton and Morgan Borton Blevins. You can find me on facebook by looking up Linda Borton Holmes I have quite a bit of literature on my family and am always fascinated to learn more. I would love to get a copy of the 300 years of Bortons and am not sure we are even in it. Looking forward to hearing from you! Linda Borton Holmes- The Woodlands, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I JUST saw this! I sent you a friend request on facebook. Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I'm related to John Borton, too, through daughter Elizabeth who married John Woolman, and their daughter Mary who married William Hunt. My branch of the Hunts eventually settled in Jasper County, Illinois. I am very proud of my Quaker ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, my name is Austin Mays and I am related to John Borton as well through John Borton Jr. My line lives mostly in Iowa as do I currently and we split off when John Abless of Holland married Ann Borton in I think 1805. Would love to connect! Have an uplifting rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi y'all! I'm a 7th great-grandson of John and Ann. I'm in the Air Force and got stationed in Burlington County, New Jersey a little over a year ago. It's like Borton central here; there's Borton's Landing Road, the Burlington Friends Meeting House, and John Junior's house (Paws Farm). I'm doing as much research as I can here as the library has a bunch on info and there's historical societies, and...it's just a great place to start...My line is from John to John Jr, to Obadiah, to Benjamin (who left for Ohio) to William, to James, to Chilton, to James, to Robert (my father). I'm working with a few places to track down more solid info on our roots here so please feel free to contact me with any questions at: docdguard@aol.com.

    Randall D. Borton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi y'all! I'm a 7th great-grandson of John and Ann. I'm in the Air Force and got stationed in Burlington County, New Jersey a little over a year ago. It's like Borton central here; there's Borton's Landing Road, the Burlington Friends Meeting House, and John Junior's house (Paws Farm). I'm doing as much research as I can here as the library has a bunch on info and there's historical societies, and...it's just a great place to start...My line is from John to John Jr, to Obadiah, to Benjamin (who left for Ohio) to William, to James, to Chilton, to James, to Robert (my father). I'm working with a few places to track down more solid info on our roots here so please feel free to contact me with any questions at: docdguard@aol.com.

    Randall D. Borton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy, I would love to hear about the research you did in New Jersey regarding the early years of Bortons in America. Please contact me. Also, Thank you for your service!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I am a 9th and 10th generation grand-child of John Borton through two different Borton lines, from both my father's paternal and maternal lines. My line moved from New Jersey to Ohio and Michigan. I have been to Borton reunions and visited the Quaker's Friends Meeting house in Ohio. I also have and am listed in the to published Borton books volumes 1 and 2 ....1969-1979 300 YEARS OF BORTONS IN NORTH AMERICA. by Betty M. Mann. Editor......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also listed in the Borton genealogy book. My Grandfather, Noel Keith Borton, is from the Ohio Bortons. My Mother was the director in charge of the Friends Meeting House in Williams County, Ohio. The building was deeded to the local Historical Society. I am starting to do some research and would love to learn more from you all. I see we are a true American Family. Scattered to the corners of the Nation. Contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also descended from John Borton through his son William and grandson Caleb. My great grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Borton, granddaughter of Caleb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I skipped a generation, I should have said grandson William and son John Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know Elizabeth Reade's parents were? She is John's mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much. We too are related decendants of John Borton. Most of our cousins live in Ohio near Toledo (Wauseon, etc). My sister and I and our children have migrated west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post has been very helpful. I'm a part of the Borton family line who returned to England through John (b.1669).

    Here is my lineage:
    John (b.1634)
    John (b.1669)
    John (b.unknown)
    John (b.1724)
    James (b.1771)
    Charles (b.1800)
    Neville (b.1848)
    William (b.1882)
    Guy (b.1919)
    Christopher (b.1963)
    Edward (b.1992)

    Having found John, I was able to trace my family tree back to 'Nm' Borton (b.1450), who was also born in Anhyo!

    It is very strange to see so many comments from distant relatives; best wishes to all of you!

    ReplyDelete