Saturday, February 27, 2010

I just completed a project for a friend of mine. She has a daughter who is 16 and thinking about college. Michelle wanted me to trace her family for her so that her daughter could join the DAR and try for a scholarship thru them. All I needed to do was get Shannon's lines back to Revolutionary war vets. That's all she wanted. Well, that wasn't enough for me. I had to take the lines back as far as I could and find out as much as I could. What should have been a simple project turned into a two year project. It's a good thing Michelle is patient.

I love introducing people to genealogy. I love helping them trace their family back. I'll even do it for them - like I did for Michelle. However, when they start bugging me about it and wanting to know when it'll be done then I stop working on it. I lose my "want" to do it. They don't realize that a genealogy is an ongoing process. They don't stop to think about the hours I put in on the project, let alone the amount of ink and paper I use to print it up for them. I guess, to me, genealogy is like a work of art......it can't be rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment