Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Beginning

I don't remember a time in my life that I wasn't interested in my family history. I remember as a small child asking my paternal grandfather where his family was. (We spent lots of time with my grandmother's family, but I didn't remember ever meeting any of my grandfathers family.) His answer to me was "They are all gone." I'll never forget how sad I felt when he told me this. I thought it was just awful that all of his family was gone and how lonely he must be without them.

By the time I got around to trying to find my family history both of my grandfathers were gone. It's not that I hadn't tried to find things, it's just that it was very hard to do any research then - we didn't have computers to help us. And, like most people, I put off asking the questions I should have asked when the people I needed to ask were around. I always put it off until tomorrow.......and tomorrow never came.

In the beginning there was nothing. In the beginning I knew nothing.
They say that the beginning is but a single step. I took that step. A step that has taken me more places than I could have dreamed.

This was the beginning of my journey thru time.

No comments:

Post a Comment