Thursday, July 14, 2011

Civil War Ancestor

     With all the upcoming Civil War anniversary celebrations I thought it would be nice to talk about one of my ancestors who participated in the war.
     My great great grandfather was John M. Stults.  He was the oldest of 5 children born to Samuel Stults and Margaret Failor.  The other children were Isaac, Timothy, Amos, and Harriet.  All were born in Stark County, Ohio.  Isaac, Timothy, and Amos also took part in the war.
     John M. was born 7 Nov 1838.  Though I don't know much about his early years, I do know that they were not easy ones as his father died in 1846 leaving Margaret to raise the children on her own......she never remarried.  John became a teacher and when the call came for soldiers for the Union cause, he enlisted in the 107th Ohio Volunteer Infantry and worked his way up from Private to Lieut. by the end of the war.  The 107th saw a lot of action - the most impressive at Gettysburg where John and his brother Isaac were both wounded.
     Though I'm still going thru his papers from the archives I can tell you that he spent a lot of time in the hospitals in Virginia and in Florida for various ailments all attributed to the war - according to the pension papers.  I don't believe he saw a lot more battles going by the papers, but according to family lore he took part in some kind of secret missions as some of the secret notes are in the possession of a great-grandson.  Also in the possession of descendents are a battle flag, and various other things.  I have a star that was supposedly shot out of a flag during battle.
     After the war John went home to Ohio for a short time and then packed up and moved to Whitely County, Indiana where he met and married his wife, Nancy Jane Pence.  Together they had 6 children - 5 girls and a boy.  One of the girls and the boy died young.  The four girls left were Stella, Minnie Mae, Winifred and Nellie.
     The family moved to Markle, Huntington Co., Indiana and John started a lumber business there.

     After I finish going thru the papers I'll update the info on John and his Civil War service.

No comments:

Post a Comment